Chamber Update | Severna Park
By Liz League l CEO, GSPACC
Please warmly welcome our new members (find them in our directory at www.gspacc.com):
- Advance Auto Parts (Bronze Member) This new franchise will open November 17 on the upper level of the Clement Hardware building in Severna Park. The company retails a variety of branded, original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and private label automotive replacement parts, accessories, batteries and maintenance items for cars, vans, sport utility vehicles and domestic and imported light and heavy trucks. Advance Auto Parts serves both the professional installer and DIY customers. We will be holding a ribbon-cutting ceremony on November 18 at noon and all are welcome to attend and meet the owner.
- Zen sheet by the ocean – This company’s mission is to guide you on the path to high wellness through cannabis products, education, and expert-trained cannabis counselors at every dispensary. Zen Leaf has operated licensed dispensaries across the country since 2016.
- NewAge Ariix – The team works with a global network of hundreds of brand partners to deliver health, wellness and lifestyle solutions for a better life. A well-known brand that they market is the Noni product.
- Play and grow Speech therapy – Providing bilingual speech therapy in person and online, Play & Thrive offers one-on-one therapy sessions, language assessments, speech articulation/sound assessments, and parent coaching.
- Resolved Properties LLC – Resolute Properties is a local family business that buys and restores residential properties throughout Anne Arundel County. No repairs, no cleaning, no fees and no waiting. Resolute Properties buys homes “as is” and takes the stress out of selling your home by managing every aspect of the selling process.
- Comic book layouts, Severna Park is a new franchise concept offering a carefully curated collection of bulk foods sold by the pound in durable containers. The company offers a huge selection of items in bulk – from your pantry staples to that crazy new superfood everyone’s talking about, with new items arriving all the time! BD Provisions also roasts the coffee at the front of the store for ultimate freshness, so you can watch your beans being roasted and take them home still hot.
September was an excellent month for the inauguration celebrations. Our first was the open house and ribbon cutting celebrating Jing Ying Institute of Kung Fu and Tai Chi 22 years of commercial success. Owners Billy and Nancy Greer welcomed nearly 100 people in attendance, and they talked about their history and how they give back to the community through fundraising. Also in attendance were 10 non-profit organizations distributing literature and raising awareness of the event.
Another groundbreaking ceremony/open house celebrated the third anniversary of the Life of Joy Foundation. Joy Cortina started the foundation for personal reasons and, with the help of dedicated volunteers and corporations, has grown to support mental wellness and prevent suicide by serving as a link to integrative mind care, from the body. and spirit, and as advocates with their collaborative network of resources, community engagement, and cost assistance programs. The celebration took place at the Severna Park Community Center.
The final ribbon-cutting/open house ceremony was held at Nature Junction, formerly the Wild Bird Center in Severna Park. Owner Kim Stagi grew up with a love of birds and nature and created a business that provides high quality products and information about bird and wildlife watching, while promoting nature conservation in every community and backyard.
We participated in a multi-room end of summer party at the beautiful Walden Country Club at Crofton. All Anne Arundel County chambers participated and funds were raised through a cornhole tournament for the Life of Joy Foundation.
Our group of successful businesswomen hosted a luncheon at the new Taichi bubble tea place in Severna Park. The restaurant is beautiful and features a life-size cherry blossom tree that the owner created by hand. Owner Amy Chen told us how she immigrated to the United States from China and, through hard work, opened her first business in Annapolis with her husband. They plan to expand to Crofton later in the year.
Our monthly Wellness Committee meeting featured Carrie Baquie, ‘a chronic illness coach. Carrie shared best practices for getting the most out of your doctor visits.
Due to popular demand, we hosted one last in-room BBQ. The TGIF “Endless Summer” barbecue was sponsored by Robin Torrence of the ATG Titleand as always, there were a lot of people.
Finally, September wouldn’t be a month without our annual Driving Force for Business Golf Tournament. This sold-out event took place at the beautiful Chartwell Golf and Country Club, and the presenting sponsor was Live! Casino and Hotel. Eagle’s sponsors were Chick-fil-A Severna Park, Alexander Animal Hospital, Moran Insurance, Rosso Commercial Real Estate, Fellner Legal Services, Steak ‘n Shake Millersville and SERVPRO Annapolis/Severna Park. The hospitality tent sponsors were Sandy Spring Bank, Century 21 New Millennium Team Matt Wybleand Passanante home food services. The hot dogs were sponsored by Gary’s Grill. The sponsor of the publication was What’s new? Media. The beverage carts were sponsored by Residence permit and commitment and Cassilly Financial Services. Brightview Severna Park and snacks sponsored by Bank of Glen Burnie. The photographer was sponsored by Barranco Funeral and Cremation Services. Ravens Hole was sponsored by M&T Bank and hole in one by Wilkins-Buick. Landmark Roofing sponsored the professional shooting, with donations going to Annapolis Wellness Home. The Severna Park Community Center and Severna Park Walkways were the tee sponsors.
Please see our website calendar (www.gspacc.com) for upcoming events and our Facebook page. You can reach me at [email protected] or 410-647-3900. Thank you for buying local and shopping small!